Michael A. Mont, M.D., serves as director of the Rubin Institute for
Advanced Orthopedics, and the Center for Joint Preservation and
Replacement. Under his leadership, Sinai Hospital is breaking new ground
in the area of hip preservation and replacement techniques. He is a fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon with extensive experience in total joint replacement and reconstruction. He received his fellowship training in reconstructive surgery at The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions where he specialized in complex total joint revisions and actively participated in different clinical research studies in the area of total joint replacement.
Dr. Mont believes in educating his patients and in exhausting all
conservative treatment options before recommending surgery. As a result,
many patients are effectively treated with nonsurgical interventions,
which may include weight loss, physical therapy, oral medication and
injections. If surgical intervention is required, Dr. Mont provides each
patient, and his or her immediate family, with a full description of
the procedure, the risks and complications, as well as a thorough
explanation of the postsurgical rehabilitation process.
A partial listing of Dr. Mont’s credentials includes:
- He hails from The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions where he was an associate professor and continues to teach and perform research. He has published over 400 articles and book chapters on various aspects of joint reconstruction.
- Dr. Mont is involved in multiple professional societies including the Knee Society, Hip Society and the National Osteonecrosis Foundation. He is on the board of editors of multiple journals including the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, and he has received multiple research grants.
- Dr. Mont completed his orthopedic residency at Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, where he received hands-on experience in performing complicated reconstructive surgery.
- His medical degree is from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia, PA.
Areas of Interest
Although Dr. Mont has performed thousands of joint
replacements, he has extensive specialty training in the surgical
treatment of complex bone disorders, including secondary or revision
joint replacement surgery and infected joints. Much of his hands-on
experience was received at The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions.
Dr. Mont started at Johns Hopkins in 1989 and was confronted
with many teenagers who had avascular necrosis, a bone disease that
leads to joint destruction. Rather than performing total hip
replacements in these young patients, he became dedicated to trying to
save these joints by developing innovative new bone grafting techniques
and other procedures.
In addition to being a world expert on preserving joints in
patients with avascular necrosis, Dr. Mont performs the most difficult
hip and knee replacements. He has become known as the reconstructive
surgeon of last resort as he is sent cases from around the country and
world that other surgeons are reluctant to attempt.
Dr. Mont has been instrumental in bringing a revolutionary
hip replacement alternative, called Metal on Metal resurfacing, to the
United States. This alternative procedure offers younger patients
several advantages over the traditional total hip replacement including
bone preservation, greater range of motion, reduced risk of dislocation,
a more natural feeling joint and normal gait (walking) characteristics.
He is presently working on a new minimally invasive approach for total knee replacement.
Areas of Expertise
Dr. Mont specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of joint pain in teens and adults due to:
- Joint degeneration
- Complex bone and joint disorders
- Avascular necrosis
- Hip, knee, shoulder and ankle injuries
Dr. Mont is dedicated to his wife Rhonda, and their four children, Judy, Harrison, Billy and Shayna. He is an avid tennis player and enjoys nothing more than teaching his children, who are top junior tournament players. His other hobbies include being a national baseball trivia expert who has appeared on television quiz shows. He is also an amateur conchologist.